Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars (GEM Carts) instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We exclusively use green cleaning products at our center.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- In one year, the center recycled 530 tons of cardboard – that accounts for about 20 percent of all our waste.
- With the 2010 expansion of the mall, we recycled the following:
- 30,000 tons of concrete/asphalt
- 6,000 tons of steel
- 300,000 cubic yards of soil given to the city that was used for freeway upgrades
- 65 percent of construction waste has been recycled
- Nordstrom is recycling restaurant waste for compost.
- We’ve added reduced flow toilets and automatic faucets in public restrooms.
- The center has added light motion sensors in Management Office and staff restrooms to help conserve energy.
- The Management Office now uses reverse osmosis water instead of bottled water and no longer uses paper plates and cups in favor of reusable items.
ShackMeister Burger Beer-marinated crispy shallots and ShackSauce on a 100% Angus beef cheeseburge...