Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars (GEM Carts) instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We exclusively use green cleaning products at our center.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- In one year, the center recycled 530 tons of cardboard – that accounts for about 20 percent of all our waste.
- With the 2010 expansion of the mall, we recycled the following:
- 30,000 tons of concrete/asphalt
- 6,000 tons of steel
- 300,000 cubic yards of soil given to the city that was used for freeway upgrades
- 65 percent of construction waste has been recycled
- Nordstrom is recycling restaurant waste for compost.
- We’ve added reduced flow toilets and automatic faucets in public restrooms.
- The center has added light motion sensors in Management Office and staff restrooms to help conserve energy.
- The Management Office now uses reverse osmosis water instead of bottled water and no longer uses paper plates and cups in favor of reusable items.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building